(This is part of a series where I review several commercially available pet turtle basking platforms, because my pet turtles need new basking platforms.)
Energy Savers Zilla Floating Basking Platform
A newer pet turtle basking platform, the Zilla Floating Basking Platform looks similar to the Zoo Med Turtle Dock, particularly it’s frame, which is the part that is suction-cupped to the inside turtle tank wall and allows the basking platform to adjust its float on top of the water, regardless of the amount of water loss due to evaporation. The product is very light (in terms of weight) and is much lighter than the Zoo Med turtle dock. Whether that means it will float better under heavier/bigger turtles remains to be seen. The platform does not have a prominent ramp like the Zoo Med turtle dock but makes up for it by having “natural-looking river rock steps” on the side of the platform.
Yeah: A very similar product to the Zoo Med turtle dock, it shares many its good points.
- Comes in three sizes: small (7-1/2″ by 7-1/4″), medium (8.0″ by 4.0″), and large (10.5″ by 8.5″).
- Natural looking, looks better than the Zoo Med turtle dock in my opinion.
- Adjusts to water level. Always a plus.
Boo: Again, shares many points with the Zoo Med turtle dock.
- The “natural-looking river rock steps” looks like it will give a larger turtle a harder time to climb onto the basking platform. It looks difficult for a larger turtle to climb on.
- Even the largest size (large at 10.5″ by 8.5″) is a bit tight for a large turtle, such as a fully grown (12″ SCL) female red ear slider turtle.
- The construction material looks like it will be easily chewed on and destroyed by pet turtles.
My decision: with too many similarities to the Zoo Med Turtle Dock, I do not want to waste my time with a product that will potentially not be good for the lifetime of my pet turtles. My pet red ear slider turtles have a maximum SCL size that is much larger than the largest size (the large) will comfortably fit. With that in mind, the Energy Savers Zilla Floating Basking Platform is not for me. This product may work better for a species of turtle that stays small (i.e. musk and mud turtles).