(This is part of a series where I review several commercially available pet turtle basking platforms, because my pet turtles need new basking platforms.)
Reptology Floating Turtle Pier
Yeah: All the pluses sound good, but don’t quite measure up to the negatives about the floating turtle pier.
- The turtle pier floats at water level.
- Will allow for water depths up to 16″.
- Has a gently sloped ramp for easy access by turtles.
- has an optional filter holder and filter cord port (for obviously underpowered filters).
- Comes in two sizes, small (pictured at the left) and large (picture below).
Boo: Besides it’s looks, which are subject to personal taste, I don’t see long-term value with this product.
- Looks like a pier/dock. Not my taste exactly. This might be a plus for you.
- The plastic the product is made of feels flimsy to me.
- Size, size, size. With hatchlings on the box cover, the product looks pretty small. But this is totally dependent on your turtle species.
- The max depth/height of 16″ isn’t much either, but this depends on your turtle species.
- The entire product starts to sink under the weight of a 5″ pet turtle (from a review on Amazon). My turtles are larger than that, but this again depends on your turtle species.
- Not a lifetime product for most turtle species.
My decision: Not quite for me, since my turtles are both above 6″ SCL. I would not recommended the floating turtle pier as a life time product for most pet turtles as most species will grow to reach 5″ SCL and more. This may be a good purchase for you if you have a smaller turtle, such as a mud or musk turtle.
Want to learn more? Here’s a video review: