Zoo Med Floating pet Turtle Log
(This is part of a series where I review several commercially available pet turtle basking platforms, because my pet turtles need new basking platforms.)
Zoo Med Floating Turtle Log
Another Zoo Med product, but not quite as popular as the turtle dock. It has a few things going for it and is widely available in stores and online.
Yeah: The main features of the product are also it’s biggest pluses:
- Looks natural, just like a log.
- Provides an area above the water surface so a pet turtle can bask and can get dry.
- Provides an underwater basking/rest area.
- Has several holes to provides various entry/exit paths.
- It is weighted at the bottom, which prevents it from tipping/rolling over.
Boo: Just a few, but it’s small size is what gets me the most.
- Is free-floating, which is both a positive and a negative, depending on your needs.
- Fixing it so that it stays directly under a heat and basking lamp and doesn’t float away in your turtle tank should be simple and easy, but still needs to be done.
- At 11″ x 6″ diameter, the product is small – only two turtles up to 4″ SCL can bask on top. Pet turtles will eventually outgrow it.
- Turtles can (and have) gotten themselves stuck inside the log- which may also be a drowning risk. The turtle log should be removed from the tank as soon as your pet turtle becomes too big for it to avoid this.
The Zoo Med turtle log is a nice product and is great for hatchlings. The biggest negative for me is it’s small size. My pet turtles will reach maximum sizes of 8″ and 12″ SCL – so the turtle log is definitely not for me – as a matter of fact, they are already too big for it.
Also available at ThatPetPlace: The World’s Largest Pet Store is your source for discount aquarium, pond and pet supplies